Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Green Lantern


After watching this movie, I found a new comic character I like. The history of the Green Lantern has so much depth in story line that its crazy not to make a movie about all of it. Ryan Reynolds not my choice as Hal Jordan but he still gets the job done. I was hoping to see a Deadpool movie soon but it was pushed back due to DC grabbing him. It was still a smart move on Ryan's part.

The movie was successful in my eyes. The CGI was superb. The crew created their own universe from the Green Lantern comics and my god it looked great. The visuals was so believable. I loved looking at every detail but one thing, Ryan's outfit. I felt like his outfit could have been worked on more, which is shocking because hes the star of the movie. When he puts on the mask it looks fake. He kind of looks like a raccoon to me. It's adorable. I am even sure most of the CGI went to his package for the ladies. The villain was the emotional feeling of FEAR that is the Green Lantern's darkest enemy because they use WILL power. I think the concept is dumb when you read about it but once you see it with your own eyes, its actually pretty cool. Green Lantern brings out the child inside of me when a Green Lantern creates anything they want out of energy. Reminds me of the Mask (Jim Carrey's Verison) where he takes stuff out of no where and uses it for his pleasure.

The plot was too fast pace. I felt like if you didn't know the back story of the Green Lantern you would be a tiny bit lost. They added some alternate scenes that are different then the comic book, which was okay in my opinion. I am just wondering how they are going to introduce a few characters now if they add them to the next movie.  Ryan played Hal Jordan okay, I am not a big fan of Green Lantern yet but I know enough to see that the character could have been played a little more fun. Ryan played him like he was emotional and he hates life. There is a scene where he almost dies from a plane crash because he couldn't stop thinking about his fathers death. Then there is a girl who likes Hal and all he does is pushes her away because he can't make up his mind on what he wants. Bottom line if the ring never came to Earth, Hal would've been a loser. Everyone will hate him and disown him for being a selfish jerk.  The Green Lantern ring showed him power and now he thinks hes better then everyone else. So he takes the girl and gets over his emotional problems. It's quite touching if you ask me. The ending fight could have been a little bit longer and more of a struggle for Hal but he got the job done. If the ring chose me, I'll be a villain taking over the world. Ill be full of RAGE!

The movie was good. I don't want to add spoilers to the movie. It's classy enough to just go see it for yourself. DC did a good job and they need to stop doing reboots and start introducing new comic characters like this one.  

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment